Dear Sisters & Brothers,
The Foothills District Spring Conference will be this Sunday, May 1 at 6:30pm. The event will be held in the “Foothills Cathedral” - Grace United Methodist Church, 516 Shinnick Street in downtown Zanesville (corner of Shinnick & Fifth Streets). There are several parking lots, totaling over 300 spaces within a block of the church - John McIntire Library front and rear, Muskingum County Health Department, Muskingum County Welcome Center and Century Bank. Parking attendants will be on hand to direct out of town guests.
West Ohio United Methodist Bishop Gregory V. Palmer will preach the sermon and preside over Holy Communion. Ten days following our District Spring Conference, Bishop Palmer will deliver the Episcopal address during the 2016 General Conference in Portland, Oregon. His message will be translated into nine different languages: English, French, German, KiSwahili, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and Swahili. I cannot underscore enough the importance of praying for our bishop’s message at General Conference. We need a powerful moving of the Holy Spirit in our beloved denomination. This Sunday night in Zanesville, there will be a time in the service when we will gather around our bishop and pray for his General Conference address that will touch 12.1 million Methodists worldwide.
In addition to Bishop Palmer’s address, we will:
- Recognize District Transitions – Retirement, Ordination/Commissioning , Local Pastor’s License
- Recognize Those Being Appointed out the District, within the District and to the District.
- Recognize our District Lay Servants – Local Church Lay Servants, Certified Lay Servants, and Certified Lay Speakers
- Recognize our Ministry Awards - West Ohio Vital Rural Church and the Foothills District “Francis Asbury Evangelism Award”
- Pray for our Local Pastors and Supply Pastors
- Witness over 30 robed ordained elders/deacons in the procession, in addition to the crucifer, acolytes and book bearer.
- Celebrate Holy Communion with Bishop Palmer
- Worship with a 70 member choir, two gifted soloists and enjoy the musical talents of one of United Methodism’s finest organists in southeastern Ohio – Mr. James McLaughlin Everyone is invited to attend! I promise this will be an inspirational evening you won’t want to miss!
Please spread the word by announcing our Spring Conference this Sunday morning and inviting your family and friends. I will be especially praying for those making the long drive north to Zanesville from the southern counties in the district. Perhaps you might want arrive early to enjoy dinner at Tom’s Ice Cream Bowl, Adornetto’s Pizza or another one of the Y-Bridge city’s well-known restaurants! See you in the “Cathedral” with Bishop Palmer at 6:30pm!
Your servant in Christ Jesus,
Dennis W. Miller
Foothills District Superintendent